Honey harvest!

Well in the space of a month there is honey to harvest! The weather has been unpredictable so we only took two frames from each hive, but the bees look busy and healthy. It was fascinating to see the different honey from each hive- the ‘kitchen hive’ produced a slightly paler honey than the ‘billabong hive’, though each hive gave us a good 3 litres just from the two frames.

Because the bees were so healthy and obviously all was well, a week later we also added a super to each hive. This time we are going for WSP supers and frames as they are a bit lighter (because they aren’t as deep). A full super of honey gets quite heavy to lift off, so this should make it a little more manageable!