We are by no means self-sufficient, but we do what we can, when we can, to live as sustainably is possible at this point in our lives.
Some of the things we do are:
* grow some of our own vegetables and fruit
* grow some of our own meat
* we keep bees
* reduce our use of electricity-with 26 solar panels we are able to produce enough electricity in summer to cover what we use. A solar hot water system also has dramatically reduced our electricity needs.
* supply our own firewood- from trees that have died on our property. Unless a tree has fallen in an inconvenient place, we store our firewood vertically! This saves space and eliminates double handling.
* we tried allowing the sheep to graze the lawn around the house, but that did not work, so we have drastically reduced the amount of grass and planted natives instead.